Sunday, October 21, 2012

Scared....

About a year ago, after my first emptying scan but before my diagnosis, I joined a support group for those with gastroparesis. I was initally petrified to think that some of those stories could be in my future. Feeding tubes, TPN, central lines, gastric pacemakers. This is the world I would be living in. It was all kind of fascinating in sort of an anthropological sense. I was intrigued to see how some of the people who seemed so desperately ill could find ways to live full lives. There werre many young women who were in college. Many others who worked at least part-time. I began to see how I could find my new normal amid the insanity that is gastroparesis. My view of the disease was two pronged. People were either pretty sick but lived full lives anyways or they were trapped by the illness in their homes doctor's offices or at worst in hospital rooms. The idea of dying from gastroparesis never crossed my mind. How naive I was.

Six months ago I saw a post on the support group announcing the passing of a young man due to gastroparesis. I was saddned by the news in the way that I think most of us are. Every death is tragic, especially when it happens too young. I will admit that news of that first death didn't resonate much with me. Not in the way that others have since, and there have been many. At least 10 that we know of.  There have been six in the last two weeks alone.

 Each announcement makes me feel a little more vulnerable. I still am relatively healthy in relation to some of my friends. Yes, I have a stimulator now, and it isn't working as well as I had hoped. I am writing this in part to distract myself from the pain from my dinner of a bit of soup and saltines. With each annoucement, I lose a little of that anthropological distance with which I began this journey, and I start to think that it could be me. Not next, not even soon, just someday. Someday tthis insane disease could in fact kill me. That is a bizzare thing to even begin to contemplate.

I try to find some comfort in the fact that no one has ever mentioned more drastic measures like TPN or tubes to me. I know logically that just because I have the stimulatorthat doesn't take the more agressive interventions off my horizon. I can tell my self it won't be me all I want. I never imagined my life would be ruled by such an insidious disease, either.


No comments:

Post a Comment